The item has been
added to your basket.
  Shooting Abroad – what you should know.



Before you pack your shotgun and head overseas there are certain restrictions you should be aware of, particularly when taking your own shotgun.

If you’re travelling from the UK you need a European Firearms Pass (EFP) and depending which country you’re travelling to, you must also check what documents your arrival country will expect to be completed.

When taking a shotgun abroad you will need a hard case with a suitable locking system. Airlines will always store weapons in a security baggage section. However, before you book your flight it’s also wise to check whether the airline will accept firearms. If so, you will also need to comply with airline regulations regarding their criteria for carriage.

Your guide will usually advise how to collect your shotgun. However, on arrival at your destination airport, your weapon will usually go into a security or police office where you will be asked to provide your proof of insurance, EFP and UK shotgun or firearms license.  It is also usual for your guide/organising party to provide ammunition during your stay.

Taking pets abroad:

You are allowed to take your dog abroad and with the new EU pet passport system it’s now much easier to travel across Europe.

To enter the UK without quarantine from a listed country, dogs and cats still have to be microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and blood tested. Your pet must be vaccinated in accordance with the recommendations of the manufacturing laboratory.

The six calendar month wait to enter or re-enter the UK from the date a blood sample was taken that gave a satisfactory test result still applies. Animals must not have been outside any of the listed countries in the 6 calendar months before entering the UK.

The tick and tapeworm treatment, carried out not less than 24 hours and not more than 48 hours before being checked-in with an approved transport company to travel into the UK, is still required.

Dogs and cats must still enter the UK using an approved transport company and route.

The free movement of animals within the UK and directly between the UK and the Republic of Ireland continues.

Special rules remain for animals that have been prepared in a different order in accordance with the national laws of certain countries.

DEFRA: What has changed from 3 July 2004:

Those prepared for PETS in the EU require an EU pet passport. For entry or re-entry to the UK, this replaces the PETS certificate, the certificate of tick and tapeworm treatment and the declaration of residence.

The passport has replaced the export health certificate for entry to other EU countries from the UK and permits travel between EU countries. It also replaces the PETS 5 certificate for entering France from the UK.

Dogs and cats prepared in a non-EU listed country require a third country official veterinary certificate, instead of a PETS certificate, to enter any EU country, including the UK. The certificate includes details of the microchip, rabies vaccination, blood test and tick and tapeworm treatment. Pets with an EU pet passport may re-enter the EU from non-EU listed countries using the passport.

Dogs and cats travelling to the EU from an unlisted country must meet EU import requirements before leaving that country. If travelling direct to the UK, this means they will have to be licensed into quarantine for 6 months on arrival. This should be arranged before your pet travels.

The number of laboratories where the rabies blood test can be done has increased.

The number of countries from which dogs and cats may enter the UK under PETS without 6 months quarantine has increased. Certain territories of EU countries are regarded as part of the EU under the Regulation.

All dogs must be microchipped and have a passport containing details of a valid rabies vaccination and until the end of 2011 Ireland, Malta, Sweden and the UK will also require proof that the vaccination has been effective.

Finland and Sweden also require a tapeworm treatment.  However, until the end of 2011 treatment for ticks and tapeworm is also required for entry into Ireland, Malta and the UK.

All of this can take time and you should factor this before booking your trip. When travelling with a dog and/or shotgun, we advise you check with the appropriate authorities of both your departure and arrival country for regulations and restrictions regarding travel with a dog and/or shotgun.

For further detailed information please visit

No products available under this category

For leading brands at competitive prices, visit Tallis Country, the convenient country store.